Perspex Oxygen Electrode
Laboratory dissolved oxygen electrodes for routine and research applications in biotechnology, medicine, industry, and environmental studies.
- Simple, rugged, proven design.
- Choice of controller.
- Large range of electrode volumes.
- Easy to maintain.
- Thousands of Rank Brothers Oxygen Electrodes in service.
The need to measure dissolved oxygen is widespread throughout industry and academia with analyses being made on many diverse sample types, from blood to boiler feed water. Applications continue to grow with developments in physiological studies, microbiology research, and biotechnology fermentation processes.
The Dissolved Oxygen Electrode
The Rank Brothers Oxygen Electrode is based on the Clark cell as first described by Leyland C. Clark. The Clark cell is also known as an Oxygen Membrane Polarographic Detector. The electrode has been designed to measure the uptake or production of oxygen by cell suspensions, subcellular particles or enzyme systems. However, the electrode can be used to determine the partial pressure of either gaseous or dissolved oxygen over the range 10-4 to > 1 atmosphere, making the electrode performance attractive for many applications.
The Oxygen Electrode as supplied comes in two main components:
- The electrode base, which houses the central platinum working electrode and the surrounding silver/silver chloride counter/reference electrode. Conduction between these electrodes is by 3M potassium chloride with a semi-permeable membrane used to separate the sample.
- The incubation or monitoring chamber mounted on the base has a built in water jacket. This ensures any measurements are conducted at a constant temperature, which is essential for accurate readings. A plunger fits into the top of the chamber and has two functions. The first is to seal the sample from the atmosphere apart from a very small hole that is used to inject materials with a syringe. The second function is to provide a reduction of the specified sample volume by up to 6:1.
The standard Perspex oxygen electrode has a sample volume of 7 ml (adjustable down to 1 ml via the included plunger). Alternative incubation chambers from 1 ml to 50 ml are available. Another option is a flow through plunger with two holes drilled instead of one, enabling the oxygen electrode to sample from a process or flowing system.
Each Rank Brothers Oxygen Electrode is supplied with a screened lead connected to a DIN plug, 50 mm × 450 mm of PTFE membrane, 1 stirring bar (flea), and 1 spare O-ring.
|Size||50 mm (width) × 50 mm (depth) × 100 mm (height)|
|Response Time||100%-0% air saturation in less than 15 seconds|
Rank Brothers Ltd reserves the right to change specifications in the light of continuing development.
These operating manuals are in PDF format. They can be opened in the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software.
For a working oxygen measurement system you will need a controller and an electrode. Rank Brothers offers a range of controllers suitable for use with this electrode. A wide range of oxygen electrode spares are also available.
Note: The included plunger enables a reduction of the specified sample volume by up to 6:1.
|OXY040A||7 ml (standard) Perspex electrode|
|OXY041A||1 ml Perspex electrode|
|OXY042A||2.5 ml Perspex electrode|
|OXY043A||4 ml Perspex electrode|
|OXY045A||30 ml Perspex electrode|
|OXY046A||50 ml Perspex electrode|
|OXY048A||100 µl Perspex electrode|