Dissolved Oxygen Electrodes
Laboratory dissolved oxygen electrodes for routine and research applications in biotechnology, medicine, industry and environmental studies.
- Simple, rugged, proven design.
- Choice of controller.
- Glass and Perspex electrodes available.
- Large range of electrode volumes.
- Easy to maintain.
- Thousands of Rank Brothers Oxygen Electrodes in service.
The need to measure dissolved oxygen is widespread throughout industry and academia with analyses being made on many diverse sample types, from blood to boiler feed water. Applications continue to grow with developments in physiological studies, microbiology research and biotechnology fermentation processes.
The Dissolved Oxygen Electrode
The Rank Brothers Oxygen Electrode is based on the Clark cell as first described by Leyland C. Clark. The Clark cell is also known as an Oxygen Membrane Polarographic Detector. The electrode has been designed to measure the uptake or production of oxygen by cell suspensions, subcellular particles or enzyme systems. However, the electrode can be used to determine the partial pressure of either gaseous or dissolved oxygen over the range 10-4 to > 1 atmosphere, making the electrode performance attractive for many applications.
The Oxygen Electrode as supplied comes in two main components:
- The electrode base, which houses the central platinum working electrode and the surrounding silver/silver chloride counter/reference electrode. Conduction between these electrodes is by 3M potassium chloride with a semi-permeable membrane used to separate the sample.
- The incubation or monitoring chamber mounted on the base has a built in water jacket. This ensures any measurements are conducted at a constant temperature, which is essential for accurate readings. A plunger fits into the top of the chamber and has two functions. The first is to seal the sample from the atmosphere apart from a very small hole that is used to inject materials with a syringe. The second function is to provide a reduction of the specified sample volume by up to 6:1.
The standard dissolved oxygen electrode can be supplied with either a Perspex or a glass incubation chamber and has a sample volume of approximately 1ml to 7ml. It should be noted that the bases for the two electrodes (Perspex electrode or glass electrode) are not interchangeable. Alternative incubation chambers from 1ml to 50ml are available, however, glass units are limited to standard precision bore glass tube sizes. Another option available is a flow through plunger with two holes drilled, instead of one, enabling the dissolved oxygen electrode to sample from a process or flowing system.
Each Rank Brothers Oxygen Electrode is supplied with a screened lead connected to a DIN plug, 50mm x 450mm of PTFE membrane, 1 stirring bar (flea) and 1 spare O ring.
- 50mm (w) x 100mm (d) x 50mm (h) approx.
- 100g approx.
- Response Time:
- 100%-0% air saturation in less than 15 seconds.
The manuals on this website are provided as PDF files, please see the Downloads page for links to reader software.
For a working oxygen electrode based measurement system it will be necessary to have an electrode and a controller (some controllers may also require a separate stirrer). Rank Brothers have a range of controllers suitable for use with the electrode.
Note: Plungers enable the electrode volume to be adjusted by approximately a 6:1 ratio.
|OXY040A||7ml (standard) Perspex electrode|
|OXY041A||1ml Perspex electrode|
|OXY042A||2.5ml Perspex electrode|
|OXY043A||4ml Perspex electrode|
|OXY045A||30ml Perspex electrode|
|OXY046A||50ml Perspex electrode|
|OXY048A||100µl Perspex electrode|
|OXY050A||6ml (standard) glass electrode|
|OXY051A||2.5ml glass electrode|
|OXY052A||50ml glass electrode|
Rank Brothers Ltd reserves the right to change specifications in the light of continuing development.